Thursday, August 4, 2011

It's fun to stay at the...

Y - M - C - A!

I signed up for a membership at the downtown YMCA at the end of May and I couldn't be happier with my gym membership!  It is a brand new (Fall 2010) facility spread out over five (yes, five!) stories.  I spend most of my time there on floors 2, 3 and 5 which have the women's only workout room, the studios for all the classes, and the one tenth of a mile indoor track, respectively.

So far I have taken:
  • a step class (good, but not the best I've taken)
  • a spin class (holy moly that kicked my butt!)
  • a zumba class (fun, but I'm going to try a different instructor next time... this particular one seemed to gear her class toward beginners and seniors... I needed a bit more to keep my heart rate up)
  • a "stretch and strengthening" class... which ended up being pretty darn yoga-y, which is okay, had I been expecting that.  I really would like to try some yoga classes there, but I will probably avoid this particular teacher.  She kept telling us to "put a nose" on various body parts.  As in "put a nose on your ribs and breathe from it."  I still don't quite understand.
  • and finally, I have now taken 5 body pump classes.  I am hooked!
From the Les Mills website: "BODYPUMP™ is the original barbell class that strengthens your entire body. This 60-minute workout challenges all your major muscle groups by using the best weight-room exercises like squats, presses, lifts and curls. Great music, awesome instructors and your choice of weight inspire you to get the results you came for – and fast! Like all the LES MILLS™ programs, a new BODYPUMP™ class is released every three months with new music and choreography."


I've had three different instructors so far with body pump and I like all of them, but the lady I had this evening (Kandi) was awesome!  She kept reminding us to engage our abs, which is something I totally forget about and need to hear constantly.  Also, her tricep track was the only one that hasn't bothered my elbow so far (possible tendonitis? I hope not!)  I'm going to try to do two body pump classes a week and run 2-3 times a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment