Friday, June 17, 2011

Half Marathon Training Schedule

I recently read Runner's World Run Less, Run Faster: Become a Faster, Stronger Runner with the Revolutionary FIRST Training Program by Bill Pierce, Scott Murr and Ray Moss.  They suggest a training program that has three key runs per week (speedwork, tempo, and long run) and two to three days of specific cross training.  The theory that fewer days of running not only doesn't hurt your running capabilities, but can make you a better and faster runner, is supported by quite a bit of data from several studies they did with people training for marathons.  Most were able to shave a lot of time off, and some even qualified for Boston.  They have plans for marathons as well as half marathons, 10Ks and 5Ks.  I have modified their 1/2 training schedule and taken a little bit from Hal Higdon (whose beginner's training plan I followed for Long Beach 2009) and also added a little of my own flair to it.  Since I've got such a weird work schedule (or lack thereof) I plan on keeping it flexible and being able to move runs around when I need to.  


This coming week (6/20) I have my days planned out as such:


Monday - I have the day off from work so I plan on taking a class at the YMCA and doing abs and arms strength training


Tuesday - Spin Class at the Y if I'm not working in the morning.  If I have to go to work early I'll do 45 minutes on the elliptical whenever I get to my layover.


Wednesday - I'll be working, so I can do this speed workout on the treadmill at my hotel.  I just hope it doesn't coincide with a long workday!  .7 mi warmup, 6 x 800 (.1mi RI), .7 mi cooldown (5mi total) 


Thursday - 1 hour on the elliptical plus abs and arms ... again, most likely at a hotel gym


Friday - 5 mile tempo workout, broken down like this: 1 miles easy, 3 miles @ short tempo pace, 1 mile easy


Saturday - rest day! woohoo! :)


Sunday - long run... 8 miles easy and relaxed effort


Total milage = 18 miles plus 2.5 hours cardio and 2 days of abs and arms

No comments:

Post a Comment