Saturday, June 18, 2011

Busy Day!

I've been flying all over the country but I thought I'd post my food and fitness for today!
I had an Orange County layover so I got to go home and spend the night at my parent's house... It is always so nice to go home!  My Dad and I went for a 6 mile run today.  I was supposed to run it at Half Marathon Pace + 20 seconds per mile, but I knew since I was running it with my Dad that it would be a much faster run.  He pushed me to run the very hilly 6.02 (according to Garmin) mile run in 1:08:51 which translates to a 11:26 minute mile (or nearly 1 minute per mile faster than I was supposed to be running it!)  Although I was struggling at times I felt really great afterward.  We took a couple of small walk breaks due to the hilliness and my lack of exposure to hills in Houston.  It was such a gorgeous day for a run!  I sure do wish I had trails like this in my neighborhood to run.
Afterward we went to Silky Sullivan's (a restaurant owned by my Dad's close friend) for a delicious brunch.  I had an egg white omelet with tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms, cheese and avocado, as well as a bowl of mixed fruit, several cups of black coffee and my splurge - a delicious biscuit with butter and strawberry jam.  This, of course, was in addition to my pre-run breakfast of 2c puffed kamut cereal and 1/2c Kashi Go Lean cereal topped with skim milk.
Unfortunately my layover was on the short side and my Mom took me to the airport very soon after brunch.  Our plane was delayed so I got a tall nonfat latte at Starbucks.  I had a grilled chicken spinach salad with balsamic dressing, loaded up with tomatoes, cucumbers, raw almonds and walnuts and a few shrimp.  I also had some grapes and snuck a few bites of cheese.
We had a little bit of sit time in Houston before our Austin flight so I just read my book (The Perfect Mile... book review to come soon!).  We had Governor Rick Perry on our flight (along with his wife and entourage) and I just got to the hotel a bit ago.  Had a 20 minute phone call with the very tipsy husband ... always entertaining... while snacking on some Mary's Gone Crackers Organic Herb crackers and a few pieces of my Theo organic fair trade Orange dark chocolate... yum!
I've got a long day tomorrow... first a quick flight to Houston, some sit time and then a San Diego turn.  I'm planning on waking up early to hop on the treadmill for 30 minutes, but I might need to reassess in the morning because I have a feeling I might be quite sore.  My legs are doing alright, but I took a step class back to back with a yoga class and for some reason my back is feeling like it got quite a work out... I guess that means I need to step it up on the upper body work!
Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment